- Our core philosophy around security is a layered approach: starting with external security. We look at ways malicious files and activity can get in the network from the outside via the Internet, for example. Having a managed firewall in place is one layer of protection from the outside. Our managed firewalls have the latest technology in detection, prevention, and reporting functionality.
- Protection from the “inside” (email filtering is really an external layer) is another layer. Internally (external) managed security services consist of many things. For example: email. By having a filter in place, the end user’s email is kept safe from malicious attacks, which can potentially save companies thousands of dollars. Before an email even gets to a person’s computer or company email server, the email security filters identify malicious emails such as ransomware attacks or spoofed email. (See our case study below for more details about a spoof.)
- Another internally managed security service is, of course, anti-virus protection. A basic yet often overlooked piece of the security solution. Our AV not only looks for malicious files and signatures but actually analyzes the behavior of an end user’s system. This creates a higher detection and block rate of more advanced forms of malware.
- DNS (Domain Name Server) security scanning is another layer of how IT Managed Services PROTECT Your Business. Though it’s been around for a while, it’s, unfortunately, gaining in popularity. Here’s how it works: if you go to your bank’s website, and if your computer is infected with a virus, it could be the kind of virus that is trying to send you to a malicious website. It might even re-route you to the real bank site, once it gathers your sensitive information, and you wouldn’t even notice it. The virus could have re-routed you to perhaps a website in Russia for example, that looks just like your bank’s website. This is becoming more prevalent because end-users are being targeted - instead of the network. Here at Connecting Point, we put solutions in place that are designed to help prevent this from occurring.
- Another way our managed IT services protect your business is with backups. Though you might not think of a backup as a way to protect your business, it’s actually one of, if not the most critical part. We maintain a copy of our client’s network and critical server data, at the client’s site but also in the cloud at a secure and redundant offsite data center. This is done so that IF any of the other layers of security are compromised, we have backups of their entire network. This is the ultimate safety net.
- Standardization is the one of the biggest and best ways we protect your business. We have numerous processes and procedures to standardize IT operations when we begin working with a client. Our company way, The Connecting Point Way, is our best practices list. Many companies / organizations might have their own system but it is inconsistent and/or out of alignment with industry standards. Each technical resource in our company follows the Connecting Point way of doing things so there’s complete consistency and control. When we get a new client, our biggest objective from day 1 is analyze where they’re at and compare them to our standardization list and then get them up to speed to where they should be. That’s our primary focus. We’ve also specifically partnered with vendors from across the world that help set best practices for the entire industry. This type of collaboration, along with our own 30+ years of experience and knowledge is what our standardization lists are made from.
- The ultimate way to protect your business is to train each and every end user within your organization and that’s exactly what we help our clients do. For example: thanks to our processes and training, users will end up knowing what a malicious email actually looks like. A common example is a spoofing attack. If the end user has not been trained to spot these spoofs, there could be dire consequences such as stolen money. (See below).Continual training is critical because things constantly change in the world of IT. The end user is actually a huge vulnerability for your company if they haven’t been trained properly.
Protecting your business from breaches to your network is a critical business practice to have in place. Our core philosophy around security is a layered approach. Here’s how IT Managed Services PROTECT Your Business when Connecting Point works with you.